2015 marks the first year of the Parris Institute and the First Annual Parris Awards. The Parris Awards will be celebrated each Spring to honor those third-year law students who exhibit the highest order of the pillars of professionalism. The values of any institution are usually emphasized by that which is honored. At Pepperdine, we value the greatest traditions, ideals, and aspirations of the profession.All faculty, staff, and students were invited to nominate candidates for the awards making the awards unique and particularly special. Nominations were based on actual narratives of stories that capture each candidate’s attributes. Ultimately, the faculty and administrators voted to determine the recipients.
The inaugural awards celebration was held last Friday, and it was a moving event (which featured a well-used tissue box for several of the faculty presenters!).
The awards and recipients are listed below:
- Excellence in Character: Charlie Walker
- Excellence in Service: Stephen White
- Excellence in Leadership: Sarah Gerdes & David Moreshead
- Excellence in Public Interest: Joe Spano
- Excellence in Global Justice: Stephanie Brown
- Excellence in Dispute Resolution: Amanda Sanchez
- Excellence in Professionalism: Nora Sassounian
- Excellence in Courage: Paige Curry
- The Pepperdine Award: Scott Sasser