Tomorrow is a big day. For the first time, we are combining two of the most popular student events of the year into one day — the APIL Auction, and the SBA Dodgeball Tournament. I’ll explain Dodgeball tomorrow, but today, I’ll give you the scoop on the APIL Auction.
APIL is the acronym for a student organization called Advocates for Public Interest Law. Each year, this good organization raises money to give stipends to students for their summer internship in public interest work, including all of our students going across the world through the Global Justice Program. APIL primarily accomplishes this goal through the APIL Auction. Typically, Professor Jim Gash dons his tuxedo and serves as auctioneer (and will do so again this year!).
This year, there will be a silent auction and a LIVE auction. Many of the items in the “live” auction are donated by the professors. Below is a sampling of the interesting items in this year’s auction:
– Dinner for four with the (Professor) Cochran family. Will include a viewing of Professor Cochran (“Coach”) as a baby, child, and law student (with long hair).
– Lunch/dinner for 4 at El Cholo’s with Professor Goodno
– Traditional Friday Evening Sabbath Dinner for 4 with Professor Helfand
– A week (6/8/13-6/15/13) stay at Sandstone Creek Club Time Share in Vail, CO (1 bedroom, 2 bath and sleeps 4) courtesy of Professor Nelson
– A Reserved Parking Space for a semester!
– A basketball autographed by Steve Nash of the Lakers (with fancy display case and certificate of authentication)
– Several beautiful jewelry pieces valued at over $4,000. One is one of the very popular Pandora bracelets.
Payments for items from the Auctions can happen at the event, or anytime the following week. Students can team up with friends to bid on items, especially the live auction items.